Re: Edit result of last command

On Tue, 30 Nov 2004, zzapper wrote:

> Any chance you could repost your version of keep ?

I see you found something, but you also asked back then if I could
summarize the thread, and I found a message sitting in my drafts folder
where clearly I intended to do that.  So, here in one place, is the end
result of the thread, with a couple of corrections thrown in.

The "keep" function and alias:

    function keep {
        setopt localoptions nomarkdirs nonomatch nocshnullglob nullglob
        kept=()         # Erase old value in case of error on next line
        kept=($~*)
        if [[ ! -t 0 ]]; then
            local line
            while read line; do
                kept+=( $line )         # += is a zsh 4.2+ feature
            done
        fi
        print -Rc - ${^kept%/}(T)
    }

    alias keep='noglob keep'

The "_insert_kept" widget:

    _insert_kept() {
      (( $#kept )) || return 1
      local action
      zstyle -s :completion:$curcontext insert-kept action
      if [[ -n $action ]]
      then compstate[insert]=$action
      elif [[ $WIDGET = *expand* ]]
      then compstate[insert]=all
      fi
      if [[ $WIDGET = *expand* ]]
      then compadd -U ${(M)kept:#${~words[CURRENT]}}
      else compadd -a kept
      fi
    }

    zle -C insert-kept-result complete-word _generic
    zle -C expand-kept-result complete-word _generic
    zstyle ':completion:*-kept-result:*' completer _insert_kept

    bindkey '^Xk' insert-kept-result
    bindkey '^XK' expand-kept-result	# shift-K to get expansion

And the "_expand_word_and_keep" replacement for _expand_word:

    _expand_word_and_keep() {
        function compadd() {
            local -A args
            zparseopts -E -A args J:
            if [[ $args[-J] == all-expansions ]]
            then
                builtin compadd -A kept "$@"
                kept=( ${(Q)${(z)kept}} )
            fi
            builtin compadd "$@"
        }
        local result
        _main_complete _expand
        result=$?
        unfunction compadd
        return result
    }

    # This line must come after "compinit" in startup:
    zle -C _expand_word complete-word _expand_word_and_keep

    # No bindkey needed, it's already ^Xe from _expand_word