Re: list all except

On Feb 7, 12:37pm, zzapper wrote:
} Subject: Re: list all except
}
} On Sun, 06 Feb 2005 19:02:48 +0000,  wrote:
                                     ^^
Curiosity:  Is the blank attribution there because gmane obscures the
sender identity for spam-prevention reasons?

} But what sort of thing could be wrong with my current setup?
} How can I start debugging that?

I suggest first renaming all your ~/.z* files (so that zsh won't find
them on startup), then run zsh normally.  If the problem persists, it's
with one of the /etc/z* files.

If the problem goes away when you've renamed your ~/.z* files, then start
renaming them back to their original names one at a time, starting a new
zsh after each rename until the problem reappears.  Then you'll know what
file you have to look at.

Once you know what file, start chopping it up by inserting "return 0"
about half way through that file.  If the problem persists, it's in the
top half, so move the "return 0" to 1/4 of the way through; if not,
move the "return 0" to 3/4 of the way through.  Continue bisecting the
problem portion of the file until you isolate the problem.

You might also run zsh with -x (but without -f) to see all the commands
it's executing during startup.

} /etc/zshenv just has a return 0 (which I was supposed to remove but I
} don't pick up my ~/.zshenv if I do)

That's odd in and of itself.  Do you mean that if you "rm /etc/zshenv"
then your ~/.zshenv is not read, or do you mean that if you delete the
"return 0" then ...?  If the latter, is there really nothing else in
/etc/zshenv, that is, it's empty except for "return 0"?

You're sure there's not, for example, an assignment to ZDOTDIR or HOME
in /etc/zshenv?

What other /etc/z* files do yo have?