Cannot export some shell variables

Hi.

Some shell variables do not seem to export to child shells.  Two
variable names I know of so far are $y and $r.  Is there something
special about certain variable names that could cause this behavior?

For example:

# export x=1 y=2 z=3 q=4 r=5
# env
SAVEHIST=500
DIRSTACKSIZE=8
x=1
y=2
z=3
q=4
r=5

# zsh
# env
SAVEHIST=500
DIRSTACKSIZE=8
x=1
z=3
q=4

As you can see, they are all in the environment before running a child
shell.

I unset all shell options to make sure no options were somehow causing
it (That one has gotten me several times before) but it did not make
any difference.

I tested under two different releases of zsh on two different
platforms:
  zsh 4.2.1 (i386--netbsdelf)
  zsh 4.2.0 (i386-unknown-freebsd5.2.1)

and got the same result.  It also does the same thing if I use the
allexport option rather than exporting them individually.

I also did the same test under both sh and bash and did not have that
problem.

Any ideas?

--
Vincent Stemen
Avoid the VeriSign/Network Solutions domain registration trap!