Re: zsh login coredump

On May 21,  8:15pm, mneptok wrote:
} Subject: Re: zsh login coredump
}
} On Sat, 2005-05-21 at 17:17 -0700, Bart Schaefer wrote:
}
} > Did it occur to you to look at /etc/profile line 33 or perhaps at
} > /etc/profile.d/krb5.sh line 5, to see what's causing the parse errors?
} >
} > Has /etc/profile or /etc/profile.d/krb5.sh changed recently?  Why?
}
} Yes, it did occur to me, but nothing jumped out at me:
}
} 33 if [ `id -u` = 0 ]; then
}
} 5         if [ `id -u` = 0 ] ; then

OK, so ...

If you're getting a parse error on that line, the problem must be that
`id -u` is returning *nothing* (it might very well be dumping core as
well).  Since `id -u` only prints an integer, it must be the case that
it's unable even to obtain that integer, which means that one of

      euid = geteuid ();
      ruid = getuid ();
      egid = getegid ();
      rgid = getgid ();

is failing catastrophically.

As zsh also calls these library routines, that's probably the cause of
the crash.