Avoid LDAP hit during completion

For some reason, whenever I start a zsh shell, the first completion will trigger many many LDAP lookup.

% cd foo<TAB>

As soon as I hit TAB, the shell appears as frozen, but at the background, it's hitting the LDAP server of my company network. This will go one for a couple minutes, at least. tcpdump and top revealed that mystery to me.

Is there any workaround for this? I'd hate to use bash after years of using zsh.

Thanks for any help!
Chris