zle functionality in scripts?

Is there a way that I can get command line editing functionality in
scripts? I only need the user to be able to edit one line of text - a
filename - but the command line editing would be useful to have there.
Maybe even a way to fill the line with some pre-defined text.
I'm trying to write a file manager in shell script - similar to the old
dos talking directory. It sounds crazy, but it just might work if I can
find a way to do the command line editing in a script.