Re: RFT: Request for a trick :O)

Stephane Chazelas wrote:
> > >     Extracting  GlassBowl001.blend/usr/bin/7z: line 2:  5488 Broken pipe
> > >           /usr/lib/p7zip/7z "$@"
> > >     Extracting  GlassBowl001.blend/usr/bin/7z: line 2:  5492 Broken pipe
> > >           /usr/lib/p7zip/7z "$@"
> >

> I think it's rather because cmp stops reading at the first
> difference -> so exit -> so close the pipes -> so the feeders
> get a SIGPIPE.
>
> That's normal and expected, you'd get the same with:
>
> 7z ... | cmp - other-file

You're right.  I'd assumed the files were actually identical, but reading
back I see Meino did say they weren't.  The "broken pipe" is simply a
detail of the implementation of the <( ... ).

Meino, if you want a full comparison to the end of the file, you can
use "cmp -l", which will give lots of output.  Otherwise, you can redirect
2>/dev/null in the p7zip command.

pws

the system manager.