zsh 4.2.5 on Irix 6.5.x

Hi folks:

I just reincarnated an SGI, fresh os install, and I compiled zsh 4.2.5 on it. It appears to have compiled (mips compiler) and installed ok. I didn't change anything in configure. It is the latest available revision of 6.5.x.

When I run it, I am unable to see or export environment variables. This is a completely vanilla configuration -- no customization scripts.

If I type

print $ZSH<tab> it offers the usual completions, like it knows these are supposed to exist, put upon completion, the variable is empty.

Similarly,

export FOO=BAR

followed by

print $FOO

prints empty space.  Similarly with $PATH.  ($path exists).

As a positive control, I downloaded the zsh available on freeware.sgi.com and installed it. It is zsh-3.x.x and it works ok.

Help.  I am no longer capable of using tcsh...

Thanks.

Bill Scott