Re: Global History Substitution

Peter Stephenson <pws@xxxxxxx> wrote:
> It turns out that fixing the code to use :g like a qualifier isn't that
> difficult, however...  that's ^b^beta^:g, since if the colon is missing the
> g is treated like ordinary text.

One subtlety is that we should ensure that

  !!:gs/foo/bar/:gs/this/that/

works as it always did, i.e. the g goes with the following s in both
cases.  I can fix that.

It does mean

  !!:s/foo/bar/:gs/this/that/

will change meaning, associating the g with the preceeding substitution
and then not treating the rest as text.  This might make the proposal
less than usable.

Using an uncoloned g isn't really a good idea since history always
treats trailing text as command line argument and I wouldn't want to change
that.

Hmm, how about

  !!:s/foo/bar/:G

or