Re: history trouble

Hi Bart Schaefer <schaefer@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>,
you wrote on Saturday, 2006-01-28 20:32:36 +0000:
> On Jan 28,  8:04pm, Thomas Richter wrote:
>
> Possible reasons for the history not to be read are:
>
> - the NO_RCS option is set (the doc says this prevents history from
>   being written, but it also suppresses reading it)

This option is not set.

> - the INTERACT option is not set

This option is set.

> - lockhistfile() fails because
>   + a temporary lock file can't be created in the same directory
>     as the HISTFILE

How can I test this?

>   + a link to that temp file can't be created

ln -s $HISTFILE newname is ok

>   + something else [possibly several somethings] has the file locked
>     for more than about 10 seconds (but this shouldn't apply at shell
>     startup, only for incremental history)

no process has this file open

> - the file can't be opened for reading

cat $HISTFILE is ok

> - some part of the file is corrupt

no contains only one line with one word

> - HISTSIZE is zero (in which case, I believe, the file is read but all
>   the contents are discarded)

HISTSIZE = 99999

> My (new, ahem) guess is that the problem is with the lock file.

wkr Thomas Richter

--
dss1://49.431.801306      Wot're we going to do tonight, Brain ?
gsm://49.179.5192431   The same thing we do every night, Pinky .