compinit causes strange tab completion on '<'

in case it matters. zsh 4.2.5
kernel 2.6.15
I have discovered some odd behavior with tab completion when compinit is loaded even with default completion set.

I like to use the'<' builtin  instead of cat

a user with no .zshrc file

%pwd
/etc
% < init.d/[tab]
gives correct file listing of /etc/init.d/
%< ./init.d/[tab]
gives correct file listing of /etc/init.d/
%< /etc/init.d/[tab]
gives correct file listing of /etc/init.d/
%cat /etc/int.d/[tab]
gives correct file listing of /etc/init.d/

%autoload -U compinit;compinit

%pwd
/etc
% < init.d/[tab]
gives correct file listing of /etc/init.d/
%< ./init.d/[tab]
gives no completion
%< /etc/init.d/[tab]
gives no completion
%cat /etc/int.d/[tab]
gives correct file listing of /etc/init.d/
%cat ./init.d/[tab]
gives correct file listing of /etc/init.d/

so basically what is going wrong is that if the path I am trying to expand with tab starts with a / , ./ or ../ then no expansion/completion occurs.

what can I do do make completion work correctly with "<" ?