Zsh, command history, Mac OS X and network based home directory

Environment:
Mac OS X 10.3.9
Zsh 4.1.1
Network mounted home directory

When I added the following line to my ~/.zshrc

HISTFILE=~/.zsh_history

the shell froze/hang when I started a new terminal. Adding set -x to ~/.zshrc produced the following output in new terminals:

+/Network/Servers/SERVER/Users/name/.zshrc:5> HISTSIZE=1000
+/Network/Servers/SERVER/Users/name/.zshrc:6> SAVEHIST=1000
+/Network/Servers/SERVER/Users/name/.zshrc:8> HISTFILE=/Network/Servers/SERVER/Users/name/.zsh_history

Googling didn't turn up anyting. I also asked in the zsh irc-channel on freenode but no one there had seen this before so they suggested that I post my question here.

Any ideas?