Re: cd - and $OLDPWD, bug in the manual?

Bart Schaefer wrote:
> The manual DOESN'T say that you can have any useful effect by assigning
> OLDPWD.  You can assign to PWD as well, but that doesn't cause a "cd"
> to magically occur.

We could make OLDPWD settable by making it special, though I don't think
we're morally obliged to.  Spoofing the previous directory sort of makes
sense.  Spoofing the current directory doesn't, at least not without
opening a large can of worms.

Web page still at http://www.pwstephenson.fsnet.co.uk/