Re: maximum value for HISTSIZE ?

» On Thu, Mar 30, 2006 at 02:26PM +0200, Andy Spiegl wrote:

> I am lazy and forget a lot, so I set HISTSIZE to 150000.

150000!!!

8-)

That's got to be a record!

When I was working as a sysadmin, I had a cron job that appended all unique
history entries into some other file; and would grep that file as needed.

That would give me this level of command memory, without the history loading
& saving time problem. Though back then I used tcsh, which was noticeably
slower to load or exit than zsh (at least when I migrated).

> BTW, I'd love to see an option like HIST_EXPIRE_ShortLines_FIRST
> so that really short history lines like "ls", "du -sh" etc. expire
> before long and complicated ones.  Maybe even with a configurable
> line length.  Or can that already be done somehow?  Of course I

If I was to do it, I would use the number of arguments, instead of line
length.

--
Francisco Borges