Re: [solved] ulimit -n to small

Heinrich Goetzger wrote:
Hi,

my zsh 4.2.5 on gentoo has a problem with the number of file descriptors.
They can not raise the hard limit even with the -S set as mentioned in [1]:

$ ulimit -n
1024
$ ulimit -SHn 2048
ulimit: can't raise hard limits
$ ulimit -Sn 2048 ulimit: value exceeds hard limit

But I need a value for file descriptors > 5000 for some java application.
With ksh and zsh @ root it works as expected:
ulimit -n 1024
# ulimit -n 1024
# ulimit -n 8192
# ulimit -n 8192

How can I change the hard limit for the file descriptors?

so, it's been quite a year since I asked this qustion. But now I've found some nice sollution on my gentoo box:

just add
<user>              hard    nofile          16384
<user>              soft    nofile          8192
to file: /etc/security/limits.conf

and all is fine now.

Cheers

Heinrich