Re: Subshells and parameters

Vincent Lefevre <vincent@xxxxxxxxxx> writes:

> On 2006-05-12 08:09:26 -0400, Lloyd Zusman wrote:
>> So how can we get the process ID of any given subshell?
>
> dixsept:~> cat > getpid.c
> #include <stdio.h>
> #include <unistd.h>
> int main(void)
> {
>   printf("%d\n", (int) getppid());
>   return 0;
> }
> dixsept:~> gcc -Wall -O2 getpid.c -o getpid
> dixsept:~> echo $$; ./getpid
> 13372
> 13372
> dixsept:~> (echo $$; ./getpid)
> 13372
> 14153
> dixsept:~> (stat +link /proc/self; ./getpid)
> 14168
> 14168
>
> Note: as Peter said, /proc is specific to Linux.

Thanks.  However, just as in my original message in the other thread,
I'm wondering if there's a solution that doesn't require a separate
executable.  In other words, is it possible to get a subshell's pid in a
zsh-only manner, without using anything like the "stat" executable nor
the "getpid" utility described above?

Thanks.

--
 Lloyd Zusman