Re: Separating <tab> and <C-i>

On Sun, Jun 25, 2006 at 02:17:15PM -0700, Bart Schaefer wrote:
> On Jun 26,  1:47am, Ligesh wrote:
> }
> }  I know historically <tab> was treated as <c-i> by terminal drivers
>
> It has nothing to do with terminal drivers.  The definition of TAB in
> the ASCII character set is code point decimal 9, which corresponds to
> ctrl-I in the same way that backspace (8) is ctrl-H and newline (10)
> is ctrl-J.

 Yeah, I forgot. But does that mean zsh is actually processing the ascii value of the key pressed? So zsh has no means to know whether it was <tab> or <c-i>?

> } but is there a way to map these keys to different actions?
>
> Now *this* does have to do with terminal drivers, because you may be
> able to use the terminal driver to remap the character value(s) sent
> when you press a given key combination.  But that point pressing the
> keys "Ctrl" and "I" will no longer be sending a true ctrl-I character,
> and other applications may get confused.

 I have xmodmap, but that will play havoc with my entire system, and I will have reconfigure screen, vim, elinks and I don't know what else. But I guess that's the only way out. I will have to make the terminal driver send a different keystroke for <c-j> and <c-i>, the two keys I want changed from their ascii meaning.

 Thanks