getting zle vi-modes to show the current mode

Hello all,

I'm pretty usre that if I could just get used to it, I'd like
vi-keybindings on the prompt more than emacs ones, but I keep losing
track of whether I'm in insert or command mode.  Can anyone suggest a
simple way to have zsh display the current mode under the prompt (or
in the prompt), a la vim?  I'm sure I could do it by replacing every
function in the vi-mode keymaps with something like

function my-vi-insert {
 zle -M "--INSERT--"
 zle .vi-insert
}

but I'd like to avoid the trouble if there's a better way.  :)

~Matt