Re: wishing: zsh debugger

Incoming from mkkwong2@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx:
> In my opinion, one thing that deters people from writing more
> complicated zsh scripts is the lack of a symbolic debugger. C/C++,
> Perl and Ruby all have one.

Haven't you seen the flame wars on lkml every time someone asks for
one?  Debuggers don't really help.

Korn shell has some fairly sophisticated degugging facilities.
Perhaps reading up on them will point you somewhere useful?  They're
likly supported in zsh.

> Making use of the output from "zsh -x", It is easy to write a perl
> script to simulate a fake-debugger that can do the first 3 bullet
> items. Someone more capable will have to write a real one that can
> do all 4.

No tool is perfect for every job.  Perhaps you're using the wrong
tool.

- -