Interactive Syntax highlighting?

Greetings
I was recently introduced to the Fish shell
See: http://fishshell.org/

and one of the things which absolutely stunned me was interactive syntax highlighting
See: http://fishshell.org/screenshots.html

Could anything like this be implemented in zsh? does it exist already?
The closest I was able to get is to bind <esc><esc> to fc, which brings up vi which in turn has syntax highlighting, albeit the interactive feel of fish gives you imediate feedback when you misspell a command

I wanted to urge y'all to look into it
 Thanks