"script" trickery

Hi,

 I am often using the command script for makeing logs of what I am
 doing and what process reports what they are doing.

 Unfortunately "script" does not warn you when using a filename for
 the log, which already exists and overwrites that file blindly.

 I tried to write a shell function for my .zshrc which first checks
 for the existence of the given file and then starts script.

 But that fails due to the fact that "script" seems to start a subshel
 or do other trickery.

 May be one of the gurus here knows a solution for this ?

 Thank you ver much for any help ! :)

 Keep zshing!
 mcc