Re: command substitution with control chars?

got it!

it was partly that my script outputs the percentage of battery charge, complete with a trailing "%". of course this needed to be escaped, but i think the missing "setopt promptsubst" was the bigger problem. i'd feel stupid about it, but there doesn't seem to be any reference to that in the zshall man page (zsh-4.3.2).

if anyone wants a copy of the script that seems to work with freebsd's acpi, drop me a line. the only problem with it is that the sysctl command takes about 0.2-0.3 seconds, so i'll probably run it as a cron job, writing to a file, and having the prompt read it from the file.

--
        ...atom

 http://atom.smasher.org/
 762A 3B98 A3C3 96C9 C6B7 582A B88D 52E4 D9F5 7808

	"All organizations are hierarchical. At each level people
	 serve under those above them. An organization is therefore
	 a structured institution. If it is not structured, it is a
	 mob. Mobs do not get things done, they destroy things."
		-- Theodore Levitt, Management for business Growth