override the built-in r command with /usr/local/bin/r

Greetings -- I'd like to use littler, the R shell scripting driver from

http://biostat.mc.vanderbilt.edu/twiki/bin/view/Main/LittleR

Its executable is called just 'r'. Alas, when I try to invoke it or call a script starting with

#!/usr/bin/env r

zsh tells me no such luck. Apparently r repeats the previous command, and r N repeats history command number N.

How do I override zsh's built-in r to become available for my regular r?

Cheers,
Alexy