learning to write/use completion widgets?

is there some *simple* documentation out there on customizing the
completion system? for instance, i would like to be able to complete a
particular argument of certain shell functions from existing
parameters. returning all parameters from a function is trivial (and
in fact my guess is that it's built in somewhere), but tying this to
the context "first argument of functions foo, bar, and baz" is where i
get completely lost when trying to work my way through man zshcompwid,
chapters 17-19 of the manual, etc.

any help anyone can give would be much appreciated!

P.S.: I sent this same message a couple days ago, but I'm not sure it
went through properly.
--
Aaron Davies
aaron.davies@xxxxxxxxx