Re: idea for new feature (was: Re: sticky-note and zle bindings)

This is a re-send as I fail at replying to lists that do not munge
reply-to. Thanks to Bart for catching this.

On Jan 17, 2008 4:11 AM, Bart Schaefer <schaefer@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> This is actually made *worse* by the fact that many modern X desktops
> have "session managers" that will remember the apps and placement of
> your windows and re-launch them on restart, so you may have 20 new
> xterms all examining the set of state files effectively at once.

If we were to define a sane setup, I am certain many newer terminals would
love to comply with it. It could be as easy as

 SHELL_SESSION_COOKIE=`uuidgen`

with the magic cookie either generated or retrieved, whichever is applicable.
This could even be used to keep histories from merging indiscriminately on
shutdown & restart. The 'local' history could be made to appear at the 'end'
of the history buffer. If you were to hack up extendedhistory to also include
said magic cookie, this could allow for some _really_ interesting stuff.

Once Bash catches up to ZSH, they could use the same variables and
setup.

Richard

PS: I am pretty certain Robert Knight would love to implement this for
Konsole within seconds :)