Re: idea for new feature (was: Re: sticky-note and zle bindings)

On Jan 25, 2008 3:57 AM, Robert Knight <robertknight@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> There is a misunderstanding.  By "end the session", I meant ending a
> session and removing all data associated with it.  An analogy would be
> the option not to save the tabs in a web browser when closing it.
> Saving the session state would be the default behavior which would
> occur when logging out of the X session or closing the shell by
> sending SIGHUP for example.

Oh, now I get it. Personally, I would prefer to keep X sessions around.
Explicitly deleting them could simply be a built-in command. Finding,
using and agreeing upon a control sequence seems like overkill, to me.

One thing that would need to be decided is which sessions to delete
first. Oldest overall, oldest upate, smallest footprint, largest footprint
all have their respective merrits. Probably another option :)

Another thing to note is that some people would probably want to keep
the respective histories seperate, other would want to merge them on
session 'detach', still others would probably want to merge the
information on explicit session destruction.
Option one could be done by hand by the route of
  .zsh_history.$SHELL_SESSION_COOKIE
the others would probably, again, need options.

Richard