Phil's prompt is not working when LANG is set to UTF-8

Hello,

I'm having a problem with my zsh prompt which uses phil's prompt[1],
when I export LANG=en_US.utf8 the prompt is, as you can see in the
screenshot[2], all messed up, anyone knows why this is happening??
I've tried it on both Linux and Unix and I have had the same results.
Also please take a look at the discussion[3] that happend on IRC a
while ago.

Thank you

[1]: http://wael.nasreddine.com/cgi-bin/viewvc.cgi/trunk/etc/.zsh/prompts/phils?view=markup
[2]: http://img482.imageshack.us/img482/3899/wrongrprompt3su1.png
[3]: http://nopaste.nasreddine.com/18ca877db3.html

--
Wael Nasreddine
http://wael.nasreddine.com

.: An infinite number of monkeys typing into GNU emacs,
   would never make a good program. (L. Torvalds 1995) :.