Re: Editing history stack during runtime?

On Fri, Feb 29, 2008 at 5:43 PM, Bart Schaefer
<schaefer@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

>  There are a couple of different things you might mean by this, so I'm
>  not sure how to answer.

I want to take the session history, i.e. what was typed since last login,
and edit that. Then, I want whatever I save to replace the session
history.

Histories of other shells or in files should not be affected in any way.

>  Then there are the added complications of EXTENDED_HISTORY, which puts
>  things in $HISTFILE you have to be careful about editing (it's still
>  all just text, though).  You can arrange to strip those so that you
>  can edit without breaking anything, but then when you rewrite the file
>  you'll lose all that information.

It is probably easiest to just put it into $EDITOR with the commands.
I am using EXTENDED_HISTORY, but I don't mind the information
in my Vim. If all else fails, blockwise select & remove :)

Thanks,
Richard