Re: feature idea: customizable string in history file

On Sat, Mar 8, 2008 at 12:10 PM, Andy Spiegl <zsh.Andy@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

>  This feature (adding extra info from an env variable to the zsh history)
>  shouldn't be that uninteresting to others either...

The main problem I see is: What happens when you change the
formatting of your extras? Suddenly, old history files have wrong data.
Furthermore, zsh already can save extra info, namely the execution
timestamp and duration. The way it is encoded is save inasmuch
you are unlikely to have programs called '100' or some such, so the
history can be re-used by other shells.

That all being said, I can see how it could be useful for some.

Richard