Re: Just a few questions.

This One Time, at Band Camp, Matt Wozniski <godlygeek@xxxxxxxxx> said, On Sat, Mar 22, 2008 at 02:49:54AM -0400:
> On Thu, Mar 20, 2008 at 1:58 AM, Wael Nasreddine wrote:
> <snip>
> >  The second question is about a problem that has been bugging me for a
> >  while now, and it doesn't just happen inside X, but whenever I am inside
> >  ViM, when I type a letter, erase it and type another letter, I'll get
> >  a weird char, not what I've typed, the next quoted character supposed to
> >  be a, and the one after that is f, and i see? "å" "???" "???" ... I have
> >  no idea why this is happening but it's really annoying to have
> >  undetected error like these while scripting... Any ideas ??

> It's a vim feature that you turn on in your .vim/defaults file, line 97.
> 97 set digraph             " allow 'umlaute'

> Might want to check the vim help for :help 'digraph':

>                                      *'digraph'* *'dg'* *'nodigraph'* *'nodg'*
> 'digraph' 'dg'          boolean (default off)
>                         global
>                         {not in Vi}
>                         {not available when compiled without the |+digraphs|
>                         feature}
>         Enable the entering of digraphs in Insert mode with {char1} <BS>
>         {char2}.  See |digraphs|.
>         NOTE: This option is reset when 'compatible' is set.

> The reason it's not on by default is to avoid just such confusion.
> Also, because it probably annoys most people.  Heh, even with the
> 'digraph' option turned off, you can still enter a digraph in insert
> mode with <C-k>{char1}{char2}, which, too me at least, makes more
> sense anyway.  Turn that option off, and enter your umlautes with
> "<C-k>u:" (or "<C-k>:u"), and you'll probably be much happier.
Oh Thank you so much, finally I got rid of this, it was so annoying !!
yea the <C-K> makes much more sence and btw I didn't know about it
before...

> And you probably would have gotten a quicker response to this question
> if you had posted it to the vim-use mailing list.  ;-)
Yea you're right, but I thought it was something related to zsh, I
haven't tried gvim that's why I sent the question here :)

> Hope that helps,
> ~Matt

Thank you, that helped me a lot man :)

--
Wael Nasreddine
http://wael.nasreddine.com

.: An infinite number of monkeys typing into GNU emacs,
   would never make a good program. (L. Torvalds 1995) :.