how to get my umlauts back?

hello, world\n

For a long time it seems I haven't used any umlaut characters (äöü etc) on
the CLI. This has worked in the past, but (maybe with the multibyte changes?)
has stopped working. When typing äöü I now get this:

$ <00e4><00f6><00fc>
zsh: command not found: äöü

This happens both in xterms and on the FreeBSD console. I've searched
the FAQ, googled the world, even recompiled without multibyte support,
no joy. Can anyone clue me in what option I have to set to make zsh
4.3.6 echo umlauts (iso8859-15 preferred)?

Regards,

	Jens
--
Jens Schweikhardt http://www.schweikhardt.net/