problem changing to userdirs with a . in them

Hello,

On some of our servers, customers have usernames with a . in them, of the form
domain.tld. With zsh I'm having the following problem when trying to change to
their user homedirs:

# zsh -f
# cd ~domai<tab>
# cd ~domain.tld
cd: no such file or directory: ~domain.tld
#

(slightly edited to strip hostnames and such)

Autocompletion works perfectly, but it seems the zsh 'cd' builtin doesn't
recognise usernames with a . in them. With other usernames everything works as
expected.

This is zsh 4.3.6 (i686-pc-linux-gnu) from the Debian 4.3.6-4 package in the
lenny (testing) distribution.

Is this something I can solve myself in some way or is this a zsh bug?

Regards,

Vincent van Leeuwen
Media Design - http://www.mediadesign.nl/