Re: A generic function/framework/mechanism for regular polling of data?

On Sun, Aug 10, 2008 at 15:14, Phil Pennock
<zsh-workers+phil.pennock@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Define periodic() and set $PERIOD; every $PERIOD seconds, periodic()
> will be called, just before a prompt.  If you don't cause a prompt to be
> shown, the function won't be called.

I knew about periodic(), but rereading my mail, I should have asked
differently. Let me retry :)

What, if any, is the canonical way to parse information from a file
and putting that into variables. Normally, I would just create a bunch
of functions, but ZSH has surprised me too often by providing things
and mechanisms I never thought of, so I wanted to check if there
are any hidden goodies.

Sorry for the confusion,
Richard

PS: Mental note: Cleanly seperate what I know and what I want to
know when asking questions. Do not ask about the whole concept,
only ask about the missing pieces.