history formatting a la iPython

The iPython interpreter does something very clever with history that
zsh might like.

When starting a new iPython session, all history items  are labeled
starting from 1. However, history items prior to this are labeled with
a leading zero. This is useful, because my current zsh history starts
with 1013, so accessing prior commands from the current session means
typing in a 4 digit number whereas with ipython, I would need only
maybe 2 digits and could still get at earlier history elements via the
leading zero.

just an idea.

thanks.