bindkey vi esc / k - beginning of line hatred

Hi,

I've searched the archives but I can't find a way to do this.

I'm a complete newbie to zsh, I'm a good candidate for zsh for dummies, and there's a couple of things bugging me that
I'd like to sort out before I really get my teeth into it (I know my way around ksh and bash and vi pretty well
though)

I don't use emacs and I've always have set -o vi in ksh and bash!

echo $ZSH_VERSION
4.2.6
setopt |egrep "vi |emacs"

emacs                 off
vi                    on

1) When I hit esc k to go back in my history, my cursor is at the end of the line.. I hate this and can't live with
it, how do I change it so that my cursor is at the beginning of the line so I can type cw and change the command for
example.

2) When I hit esc / xyz to search through my history for soemthing, nothing is echoed to the screen. That is mildly
annoying.

I've looked at the zshzle and the different bindkeys but it seems to be such a long learning curve when all I want is
two things, I'll read through the manuals later.

Thanks in advance,

Jerry