Re[2]: bindkey vi esc / k - beginning of line hatred

On Thu, 23 Oct 2008 11:01:13 +0100 Peter Stephenson <pws@xxxxxxx> wrote:

PS> On Thu, 23 Oct 2008 07:55:15 +0200 (CEST)
PS> "Jerry Rocteur" <macosx@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
PS> > I'm flabbergasted that
PS> >
PS> > 1) Anyone would want to be at the end of a line and
PS>
PS> I think the original author was a vi user, so he must have thought about
PS> this.  Presumably he found he usually wanted to change stuff at the end of
PS> the like.

 FWIW I can confirm that some vi users (that is, at least me) do strongly
prefer being at the end of line. It's rather subjective, of course, but
here is an attempt at an objective explanation:

 If you want to execute a different command with the same arguments it's
usually faster to just type "anothercommand $_" but if you want to change
something near the end of line pressing the up arrow and editing the
previous command line is more convenient.

 To summarize, please don't change this to ksh behaviour which is IMO much
less convenient.

 Thanks,
VZ