Re: bindkey vi esc / k - beginning of line hatred

On 23 Oct 2008, at 18:30, Peter Stephenson wrote:

Frank Terbeck wrote:
Peter Stephenson <pws@xxxxxxx>:
On Thu, 23 Oct 2008 07:55:15 +0200 (CEST)
"Jerry Rocteur" <macosx@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
2) When I hit esc / xyz to search through my history for
soemthing, nothing is echoed to the screen.> > >

Nope, when I hit esc nothing happens, I start typing nothing happens, I hit return and zsh searches my history for what I typed in the blind.

This sounds like a bug, but I haven't heard of it before.

If 'singlelinezle' is set, the user won't get that sort of feedback.

Ah, now that might be possible --- this would make the shell look (a
bit) more like ksh and you might naively think it was therefore useful
to set.  But it isn't, it's just to get around terminal weirdness
(e.g. a very small terminal); it's not designed as an alternative
fully-functional mode.

I'm at home at the moment not at work and I can't log into my WS from home but I did take the output of setopt and unsetopt yesterday so that I oculd study it at home and this is what I see:

I am not sure of the usefullness of unsetopt and the no prefix but I guess someone once thought it was neat.. Old habits die hard ;-)

Back to single line. this line is in the output:

	nosinglelinezle       off

If no is off then singlelinezle must be on.

I'll check it tomorrow and change it and let you know if this changes anything.

Thanks again!

Jerry