Open editor to create/edit stdin before feeding to a command

Hi folks,

I recently discovered edit-command-line[0] and that made me think
that zsh should really get a feature which would allow the user to
use an editor to feed data to a command's stdin, basically
a simplified here-document, e.g. with a syntax mockup:

   # opens editor on tmpfile, feeds file to wc stdin on close
~$ wc <<!

   # puts cat output into tmpfile, opens editor, feeds tmpfile to wc
   # on close
~$ cat |! wc

What do people think about this feature? Is it feasible?

0. http://www.zsh.org/mla/users/2006/msg00399.html

Cheers,

"by accepting this brick through your window, you accept it as is
 and agree to my disclaimer of all warranties, express or implied,
 as well as disclaimers of all liability, direct, indirect,
 consequential or incidental, that may arise from the installation
 of this brick into your building."                 -- seen on irc

spamtraps: madduck.bogus@xxxxxxxxxxx