Re: Getting the CVS revision of Zsh

On Fri, Jan 9, 2009 at 12:01, Richard Hartmann
<richih.mailinglist@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> I am wondering if there is any way to get the CVS revision number
> of the sources a particular incarnation of Zsh was built with.
> And yes, I am aware that distros apply patches, but it would still
> be useful :)

After some more thinking, another interesting tidbit of information
would be if the instance of zsh which is running is a released
version. $ZSH_PATCHLEVEL itself does not show that, it simply
tells the user about the revision, nothing more.
$ZSH_VERSION is not really suited imho as it will always be
filled and thus requires parsing.

My suggestion would be to introduce a new variable called
$ZSH_RELEASE which is only filled if the source zsh was
compiled from is tagged as a release.

I.e. in the next release, I would be able to do

% echo $ZSH_PATCHLEVEL
1234
% echo $ZSH_RELEASE
4.3.10
%

Thoughts?

Richard

PS: Maybe there is a clean way in current zsh to do this?