Midnight Commander and zsh - "Warning: cannot change directory..."

Hallo,

I noticed strange problems when running mc from within zsh: when
trying to change directory (using <Enter>, or <F3>) very often - no
idea, what it's depending on - there's a message: "Warning: cannot
change directory..." (or something like that), although in fact it
changed to new directory. Even worse: sometimes after printing out the
warning both mc's panels are moved higher, making the screen unusable
(the topmost line, of course, goes away).

I noticed, it's somehow related to subshell, because no such problems
at all, when mc has been run with "mc -u".

Surely someone noticed the problem earlier, and perhaps even found the
cure? zsh 4.3.9, mc 4.6.2-pre1, Linux, Glibc 2.8

Zbigniew