up-arrow no longer works right

I thought I had asked this already, but I don't see it anywhere, so
maybe I just imagined it.

I have Zsh setup so that if I start typing and then press the
up-arrow, it will go through the history and show me only those
history commands that match what I have already typed.

(I'm going to assume you all know what I'm talking about at this
point. If it's not clear, let me know).

The oddity is that sometimes (usually after exiting from ssh and/or
screen) zsh seems to "forget" that, and pressing the up-arrow will
just go back through my history line by line, ignoring what I have
already typed.

Usually at that point I just exit the shell and open a new one, but
I'd really like to be able to kick-start my existing session if
possible (especially when I've ssh'd somewhere).

Any ideas what might cause this and (more importantly) what I can do to fix it?

TjL