Re: Zsh util helpfiles does not produce output

* Jesse W (Fri, 24 Apr 2009 09:41:04 -0700)
> On Apr 24, 2009, at 3:47 AM, Thorsten Kampe wrote:
> > I'm trying to use the Zsh helpfiles utility to generate files for "run-
> > help".
> >
> > I'm running
> >
> > man zshbuiltins | col -bx | perl /usr/share/zsh/4.3.9/Util/helpfiles
> >     or
> > man zshbuiltins | colcrt - | perl /usr/share/zsh/4.3.9/Util/helpfiles
> Er, do you know which one you are running, or in what situation you are
> running each of them?

Both produce similar output (not to stdout but creating files on cwd).
The commands itself are from "From Bash to Zsh" book

> And do you get output (and is it correct) from col (and from colcrt)?

I get output from both but (see my answer to Bart) the output in the
wrong case still contains some mis-processed(?) escape sequences.

> The next step would be turning on various debug options to perl; a
> quick glance at `perl --help` suggests -T, -u, and/or -W might be
> helpful.  Try any or all of those, and send the resulting output to the
> list, if the problem remains.

Hm, I'd rather try to find out why the man output uses different escape
sequences on both machines (see my answer to Bart). From what I see now,
colcrt and "col -bx" (not sure what exactly these do - looks like some
"get rid of the escape chars" stuff) expect the "Cygwin output" and not
the Linux one (just using these names for the working and the non-
working case).

man on Cygwin is 1.6e and on Gentoo it's 1.6f. I have a
/usr/share/misc/man.conf on Cygwin and /etc/man.conf on Linux. Both
contain "Generated automatically from man.conf.in by the configure
script."

Thorsten