Re: Want to replace bash w zsh as system shell on Ubuntu

On Tue, Feb 2, 2010 at 10:07, Joke de Buhr <joke@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Replacing the default system shell (the shell getting started via /bin/sh) can
> be harmful. Some init scripts may stop working. Therefore it's not a good idea
> to change default system shell. DON'T do it unless you're completely sure all
> init scripts will work with zsh.

I tried to use zsh as the system shell on Debian unstable a year or so ago.

After lots of things breaking, I gave up.

The general consensus on the mailing list is that it is a bad idea to use
it as /bin/sh -- search the archives for details.
The main reason is probably that zsh predates most standards and thus
still has a few quirks and edges that are not worth ironing out as no one
uses zsh as /bin/sh, anyway. Hen and egg, I guess.

Also, please note that you need to link to /bin/zsh not /usr/bin/zsh or
you _might_ break stuff (admittedly unlikely on today's single-user
systems).

I would just

  chsh

as root and be done with it.