Git completion - trying to improve speed

Hi,

I'm working on quite a large repository, and found git checkout completion
to be veeery slow. I've found patch on google that does improve situation
dramatically when you supply some prefix, see:
http://www.zsh.org/mla/workers/2008/msg01535.html. I've applied it to
git-version of git completion. However, I've got weird side effect.

Let user use 'git checkout test-<TAB>', wanting to complete something like
local branch test-feature1 or test-feature2. However:

- First completion is immediately inserted with menu displayed despite the
shell being configured otherwise (inserted in full, not just common prefix).

- The first completion is something like origin/test-feature1 instead of a
local branch.

I'm not much of a shell guru so I thought I'd ask if someone more into the
subject had any ideas what's going on, before I start to reverse-engineer
_git script ;)

Regards,
Piotr Kalinowski

--
Intelligence is like a river: the deeper it is, the less noise it makes