Re: Problem with "?" symbol

On Tue, Aug 03, 2010, Dan Nelson wrote about "Re: Problem with "?" symbol":
> This can get you into trouble if you happen to have files matching your
> wildcard in the current directory.  "noglob" completely disables globbing;
> "NO_NOMATCH" still tries to match the wildcard but leaves it if there are no
> matches.

When I last proposed making 'set +o nomatch' the default, like it is in
Bourne shell, Ksh, and Bash, I got similar feedback - that it is dangerous
because sometimes the wildcards do expand something, and sometimes they don't,
etc. But has this ever actually caused problems for anybody? For me, it simply
"does the right thing" most (if not all) of the time. The "nomatch" error
always reminds of those "you forgot a semicolon at the end of the line"
compilation errors in C - if you know I forgot something, why not help me
and fix it for me? :-)

And considering that people coming from other shells (not including csh,
which I wonder who continues to use) assume this feature, I still wonder
why it's not the default in zsh.

--
Nadav Har'El                        |          Sunday, Aug  8 2010, 28 Av 5770