Re: cygwin chere not working with zsh version 4.3.10 but worked for 4.3.9

On Thu, 2 Sep 2010, Peter A. Castro wrote:

> On Wed, 1 Sep 2010, Reckoner wrote:
>
> > Hi,
>
> Greetings, Reckoner,
>
> > This command line from cygwin chere is not working anymore for zsh
> > version 4.3.10, but it worked for zsh version 4.3.9:
> >
> > Â C:\cygwin\bin\run.exe C:\cygwin\bin\rxvt.exe -e /bin/xhere /bin/zsh.exe "%L"
> >
> > This is supposed to open a new zsh at the directory provided by the
> > %L variable. With version 4.3.10, it opens a shell, but leaves you
> > in $HOME instead of %L
>
> Hmm.  I don't recall there being anything specific with reguards to
> cd'ing to $HOME on startup in 4.3.10.  The sample startup profile,
> /etc/zprofile, (source is at
> /usr/share/doc/zsh-4.3.10/StartupFiles/etc/zprofile) was updated to be
> in sync with /etc/profile from the base-files package, though those
> changes weren't all that effective (spaces, tabs, comments, etc).  In
> /etc/zprofile we look for an env var named CHERE_INVOKING and either
> unset it or do "cd $HOME":
>
> # Make sure we start in home unless invoked by CHERE
> if [ ! -z "${CHERE_INVOKING}" ]; then
>         unset CHERE_INVOKING
> else
>         cd "${HOME}"
> fi
>
> So, clearly, this should be working in tandum with chere.  You might
> want to try commenting out the above block and see if it does what you
> want.  If so, it may be that chere has changed how "CHERE_INVOKING" is
> being set into the environment or, maybe the name changed, or perhaps
> something related to that.
>
> I'll install chere and see what I can find out.
>
> > any help appreciated.

I installed chere, and it appears to work fine for me.  I tried first
with mintty, and then had to install rxvt before testing with it (only
had rxvt-unicode installed).

I notice that the rxvt command prepends Cygwin's 'run.exe' wrapper,
whereas the mintty version lacks it:

rxvt: (as you listed):
C:\cygwin\bin\run.exe C:\cygwin\bin\rxvt.exe -e /bin/xhere /bin/zsh.exe "%L"

mintty:
C:\cygwin\bin\mintty.exe -e /bin/xhere /bin/zsh.exe "%L"

Maybe try dropping that?:
C:\cygwin\bin\rxvt.exe -e /bin/xhere /bin/zsh.exe "%L"

(It still works either way for me, but that's just one more variable to
eliminate.)

=== Selected output from cygcheck -s ===

Windows 7 Home Premium Ver 6.1 Build 7600
Running under WOW64 on AMD64
Cygwin DLL version: 1.7.5
DLL epoch: 19

package versions:
mintty 0.8.1-1
run 1.1.12-11
rxvt 20050409-21
zsh 4.3.10-1     ($ZSH_VERSION 4.3.10 $ZSH_PATCHLEVEL 1.4705)

(not sure what else is relevant -- suspect that's enough)

--
Best,
Ben