Re: Equivalent of Vim's has("feature")?

On Mon, 22 Nov 2010, Peter Stephenson wrote:

On Mon, 22 Nov 2010 12:12:51 -0500 (EST) "Benjamin R. Haskell" wrote:
For commands and widgets I've found the following to work well:

(( $+commands[screen] )) && # do something with screen

(( $+widgets[history-incremental-pattern-search-backward] )) \
&& bindkey "^R" history-incremental-pattern-search-backward

But, 1) I can't seem to rediscover the documentation for those arrays,

Look at the documentation for the zsh/parameter module in zshmodules.

Thanks. Didn't realize these weren't standard (for some value of "standard").

and 2) Is there such an array for things that are more inbuilt? In particular, I'm looking for a test that the ':A' history modifier exists.

If you haven't recorded the version when it first appeared so you can use the is-at-least function, which is the usual way (as long as you do it as soon as the feature appears it's painless),

Is there any support for ZSH_PATCHLEVEL in is-at-least? :a and :A were added in ZSH_VERSION=4.3.10(-dev-1?) ZSH_PATCHLEVEL=1.4618.

you have to attempt to make use of the feature and record the result.

integer history_A
( : ${PATH:A} ) 2>/dev/null  &&  history_A=1

Both of these seem slippery-slopy. (Easy for one feature, but increasingly annoying as more tests are needed. Also, if a given feature takes non-trivial time to test.). Nonetheless, I guess I don't have some easy-peasy way to add the feature detection to the case statement in Src/hist.c and a new parameter in Src/Modules/parameter.c (<-- note to self in the unlikely even I get back to this), so I'll retreat with:

( : ${${:-/}:A} ) 2>/dev/null && has_A=true
(( $+has_A )) && # use it

which works fine for this case.

--
Thanks,