Re: globbing index*

On Mon, 7 Mar 2011, zzapper wrote:

Hi
I'm often diffing two files with a glob knowing that only 2 files match.
say index.php and index2.php

so when I type
diff index*
I can assume that I will get, (but it will always be as clear)

diff index.php index2.php

but is there an option to force diff to output the names of actual files compared?

(Having posed myself the problem I've realized that I can always tab expand)

diff index*<TAB>

Personally I prefer to keep the unexpanded form for history purposes (next time the glob might match different files).

To output the names beforehand, you can make a function:

diff () { echo "Diffing: $@" >&2 ; command diff "$@" }

The 'command' precommand modifier prevents 'diff' from referring again to the 'function' of the same name.

--
Best,
Ben