Re: globbing index*

On 10 March 2011 00:29, Wayne Davison <wayned@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On Mon, Mar 7, 2011 at 2:12 PM, zzapper <david@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>
>> so when I type
>> > diff index*
>> I can assume that I will get, (but it will always be as clear)
>>

> I have Ctrl-D bound to delete-char-or-list, so I just type Ctrl-D after some
> glob* item to see what it will expand to (without changing the
> command-line).  The only bad thing is if I'm not at the end of the command
> line it obviously will delete a character instead.  Using tab-expansion
> followed by undo (Ctrl-underscore) is useful when I'm in the middle of the
> command.

Note though ctrl-d won't show what a glob expands to, for that you
want list-expand, not list-choices (which does what ctrl-d does
regardless of where on the line you are).

For example if you have *t and press ctrl-d, you will see things that
don't end with a t (because completing with glob_complete set will
always insert a * at the cursor), while list-expand will only show
exactly what it matches, and also works independently of
glob_complete.

--
Mikael Magnusson