INTERACTIVE_COMMENTS - why?

Hey list!

I've been wondering why the option `interactive_comments' is there at
all. I thought, that maybe comments would clash with some corner cases
of `extended_glob', like when you have a file called "a  b" and try a
glob "a\ #b".  But that is not the case.

Since I couldn't find a technical reason for it, it might be there for
emulating the behaviour of another shell. My guess would be csh or tcsh,
which behave like that, too AFAIK.

Can someone confirm that suspicion or did I miss a technical issue that
can be avoided by having `interactive_comments' unset?

Regards, Frank

                                                  -- RFC 1925